Nicole Goetz understands the sensitive and often highly-emotional nature of family law. With over twenty (20) years of experience, she provides skilled and compassionate counseling to assist her clients through every aspect of divorce, marital and family law, including alimony, annulment, enforcement, jurisdictional issues, modification, parental responsibility, paternity, and timesharing to name a few.
Nicole often handles high-net-worth divorces involving equitable distribution of closely-held companies and other intricate, complex matters. She is also sought out by other attorneys to provide advice and assistance in appellate matters. Nicole is admitted to practice in Florida and is a member of the United States Supreme Court Bar. Some of her significant published opinions include:
- Erp v. Erp, 976 So. 2d 1234 (Fla. 2d DCA 2008)
- Barlow v. Barlow, 224 So. 3d 868 (Fla. 2d DCA 2017)
Nicole has authored multiple pieces for legal publisher, Aspatore Books, including the book: Divorce Proceedings in Florida: What You Need to Know (Quick Prep). The book provides an overview of the divorce process and serves as a guide to anyone considering filing, responding to a filing, or who has already filed for divorce. The book is available for purchase on Amazon.com. In addition to her book, Nicole writes articles and insights into family law. Her most recent articles include:
- What is ‘Discovery’ in a Divorce Case?
- Insights From An Experienced Divorce Lawyer
- My Ex Is Not Stable. How Can I Get Supervised Time-Sharing?
- Can Social Media Affect My Divorce Or Family Law Case?
- How Does The Coronavirus Affect My Family Law Case?
- What If I Have Good Reasons To Deviate From Our Time-Sharing Schedule?
- Is Mediation An Option In My Divorce Case?
Throughout her career, Nicole has been honored as Florida Trend Magazine’s "Legal Elite" (2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010), named a Florida Super Lawyer "Rising Star" (2010 and 2011), and a "Top Lawyer" by Naples Illustrated Magazine (2019 and 2020). Prior to joining Henderson Franklin, Nicole was the managing partner of two boutique family law firms including her own firm in Naples, Florida. She was born in Virginia and has called Southwest Florida home for over 40 years.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
Throughout much of her career, Nicole has been actively involved with the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar, a Section with approximately 4,000 statewide members. She has served the Section, in countless ways, including ultimately leading the Section as Chair during the 2017-2018 bar year. During that year, she accomplished a re-write of the Bounds of Advocacy, and as a result of her extensive involvement with the Family Law Section, she has been involved in every legislative change to Florida’s Equitable Distribution laws for the last 14 years.
Nicole remains a Trustee of the Section, committed to the Section’s mission. In addition to her involvement with the Family Law Section, she has previously served on the Florida Bar’s Family Law Rules Committee as well as serving as both a member and Chair of the Florida Bar’s Twentieth Circuit Grievance Committee “B.” Nicole is a member of the American, Florida, Lee and Collier County Bar Associations.
- Speaker, “Bounds of Advocacy, Goals for Family Law Lawyers in Florida, ‘We Can (and Should) do Better for Families’” Sponsored by the Judges of the Lee County Family and UFC Divisions in January 2019.
- Speaker, “Family Law: Recent Legislative (In)Action and an Overview of the Intersection with Other Practice Areas” sponsored by the Trial Lawyer Section of the Collier County Bar Association in 2015.
- Moderator, September 2014 audio webcast CLE presented by the Family Law Section in conjunction with the Florida Bar, “To Tax Effect or Not: Does the Imminent Sale Doctrine Still Exist?”
- Speaker, “An Overview of Key Jurisdictional Concepts in Family Law Matters” sponsored by Lee County Family Law Section in 2013.
- Speaker, “Life Changes and the Law” sponsored by the Women’s Social Group of the Greater Naples Leadership in 2013.
- Speaker, “A Brief Overview of Family Law for Trust and Estates Practitioners” sponsored by the Estate and Trust Section of the Collier County Bar Association in 2013.
- Speaker, “Protecting Your Client’s Non-Marital Property and Avoiding Inadvertent Distributions and Support Obligations” at the Estate and Trust Section of the Collier County Bar Association’s Annual Estates and Trusts Symposium in 2012.
- Speaker, “Protecting Non-marital Assets” sponsored by Probate and Pumpernickel in 2011.
- Speaker, “The Basics of Equitable Distribution” at the Basic Family Law Course sponsored by the Florida Bar and the Young Lawyers Division, Tampa and Miami in 2011.
- Speaker, “Partial Equitable Distribution” at the Family Law Forum sponsored by the Lee and Collier County Family Law Bar Associations in 2009.
- Speaker, “The Nuts and Bolts of Equitable Distribution” at the Basic Family Law Course sponsored by the Florida Bar and the Young Lawyers Division, Tampa and Miami in 2009.
- Speaker, “Can You Trust Your Trusts and Presume Your Prenupts Will Protect Your Clients?” sponsored by the Estate and Trust Section of the Collier County Bar Association in 2008.
- Speaker, “Basic Family Law” sponsored by the Trial Lawyer Section of the Collier County Bar Association in 2007.