Christina “Christy” O’Brien serves as the firm’s Divorce, Marital and Family Law Department Chair. Her practice includes all types of family law matters, including divorce, alimony, timesharing, paternity, domestic violence injunctions, post-judgment modifications and adoption issues. In addition, she also drafts and litigates prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Family law cases often involve challenging parenting issues; perhaps health and wellness issues exist involving alienation or substance abuse. If a family business is concerned, business valuations and marital assets and income tracing would be necessary.
Christy understands that family law cases can be highly emotionally charged, especially when children are involved. Relying on her experience, Christy develops customized parenting plans and marital settlement agreements tailored to the needs of each family. She is also an appointed Guardian Ad Litem in Lee County and certified to make recommendations regarding parenting plans that would be in the child’s best interest.
Christy has handled and tried jury and non-jury trials throughout her career in the Twentieth Judicial Circuit (Lee, Charlotte, Collier, Hendry and Glades Counties) and the Twelfth Judicial Circuit (Sarasota, Manatee and DeSoto Counties) Florida. She is admitted to practice in all Florida State Courts and the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Naples Illustrated magazine named Christy to its “Top Lawyers” list for her work in Family Law for the years 2020-2022. Before joining Henderson Franklin, Christy managed her own practice in Fort Myers, where she handled family law and civil cases.
Christy resides in Fort Myers with her husband and three sons. She enjoys running, traveling, and boating with her family in her spare time.
- House and Senate Discuss Major Changes to Florida Alimony Laws
- 5 Tips to Help You Through a Divorce
- How to Get Divorced in Florida
Professional and Civic Affiliations
Christy serves as secretary on the Board of Directors for Fort Myers American Youth Baseball and Softball. She previously served on the Board of Directors for the Association of Family Law Professionals, Coalition for a Drug-Free Southwest Florida, Family Resource Center of Southwest Florida, and Lee County Legal Aid Society.
Christy is very active in the Family Law Section of The Florida Bar and is currently a member of the Family Law Rules Committee. She previously served on the Domestic Violence, CLE, and Rules and Forms Committees. Christy is also a member of the Lee County Bar Association, the Association of Family Law Professionals, and the Lee County Association of Women Lawyers. She is also a member of the Fort Myers Track Club.
- Over the last 20+ years, have represented hundreds of spouses in achieving an equitable division of marital assets and awards of alimony/spousal support.
- Have represented hundreds of parents in high conflict timesharing/custody cases, involving issues of mental health, domestic violence and substance abuse.
- Represented high net worth individuals in negotiating prenuptial agreements to protect pre-marital and non-marital assets.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 36 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- How Do You Choose the Right Divorce Attorney?
- Christina O’Brien Named Chair of Henderson Franklin’s Family Law Department
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 39 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- What is a Guardian Ad Litem and Do I Need One in My Custody Case?
- Divorce: what do we tell the children?
- Family Law Attorney Christina O’Brien Discusses Florida Child Relocation Law
- Resistance, Reunification, and Relocation: Unique Perspectives on Familial Conflict
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 28 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- Christina O’Brien Appointed to The Florida Bar Family Law Rules Committee
- Co-Parenting Recommendations During COVID-19
- How to Get Divorced in Florida