Kayla is a stockholder in the firm’s Divorce, Marital and Family Law practice area. She handles cases involving dissolution of marriage (divorce), child custody, paternity, child support, adoptions and domestic violence injunctions. Kayla is admitted to practice in all Florida state courts and in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Prior to joining the firm, she served as a summer associate and was a law clerk for the Honorable David A. Demers in Florida’s 6th Judicial Circuit Court.
Throughout her career, Kayla has received much recognition including being named a “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers® (2016-2022), a “Top Lawyer” by Naples Illustrated magazine (2019, 2021-2022), and received Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition for her work in family law in years 2021-2023. She was also recognized as an “Up & Comer” by Florida Trend magazine, an honor awarded to only 138 Florida attorneys in 2017.
While earning her law degree and Masters in Business Administration at Stetson University, Kayla served as chief of the Ambassador Program, secretary of the Business Law Society and president of the Running Club. It is not surprising upon graduation, Kayla received the Dean’s Award and William F. Blews Pro Bono Award. While a student at the University of South Florida, she was a member of the Honors College Student Council and conducted research on the effects of student leadership on the college campus. Kayla was also a 400 hurdler for the Women’s Track and Field Team.
Kayla is a Fort Myers native and graduated from Fort Myers High School. When not working, she enjoys spending time with her husband, three children, their dog, Adelaide, traveling and running. Kayla is also in the process of getting her private pilot’s license.
Professional and Civic Affiliations
Kayla is active in the community and devotes time to serving on the Harry Chapin Food Bank of Southwest Florida‘s Board of Directors and volunteers as a coach with the Fort Myers High School Track & Field Team. In the legal community, she serves on the Florida Bar’s Young Lawyer’s Division Board as one of two governors for the 20th Judicial Circuit and is chair of the Health & Wellness Committee. Kayla is also a member of the Association of Family Law Professionals and a barrister for the Calusa Inn of Court. She is past-president of both the Lee County Association for Women Lawyers and the Lee County Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division.
- Leach v. Kersey, 162 So.3d 1104 (Fla. 2d DCA 2015)
- Represented hundreds of spouses to achieve an equitable division of marital assets and liabilities, as well as reach appropriate awards of spousal support for the paying, and receiving party.
- Represented parents in high-conflict situations to achieve parenting plans that allow the family to successfully move into new chapters of their life.
- Sometimes a final judgment isn’t always final and a modification is necessary. Kayla has represented numerous clients in post-judgment actions where a modification of spousal or child support is necessary or a change in a parenting plan is needed to accommodate new life circumstances.
- Relocation matters are impactful for all families. Kayla has represented clients wanting to relocate from the area with their minor children; and, also has successfully represented clients attempting to prohibit the relocation of their child from the area.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 36 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 21 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 39 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- How does Florida law impact divorced parents with children wanting to relocate?
- 20 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Don’t punish the kids to get back at your ex
- Three Henderson Franklin Lawyers Recognized for their Pro Bono Service
- 18 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- 21 Henderson Franklin Lawyers Honored as 2020 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars