Scott is Chair of the firm’s Labor and Employment Law group. From complex labor and employment counseling and litigation to general business matters, he has been representing the interests of entrepreneurs, public entities, and businesses of all sizes throughout the United States, including Florida and Georgia, for more than 25 years.
More specifically, Scott has extensive experience in all aspects of employment law, including Title VII, ADA, ADEA, and Section 1983 discrimination, harassment, and retaliation matters, FMLA leaves issues, and FLSA and state law wage situations. He also assists his clients in whistleblower claims and non-compete, non-solicitation, trade secret, and contract disputes. With regard to general corporate matters, he prepares employment agreements, operating and shareholder agreements, restrictive covenant (non-compete, non-solicitation, confidentiality) agreements, and business contracts.
Scott also brings his expertise as a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator to facilitate a resolution as an alternative to lengthy and expensive litigation. As Chair of the Florida Bar’s Labor and Employment Section, Scott is extremely active in helping formulate and implement legal policy on both the state and local level. He is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Florida, Georgia, and the District of Columbia, including U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida.
Scott has repeatedly been recognized as a Florida Super Lawyer in labor and employment law. In 2020 and 2021, Naples Illustrated named Scott a “Top Lawyer”. Previously, he was recognized by Atlanta Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in labor and employment law. While attending law school, Scott was elected Editor-in-Chief of the Florida Journal of International Law and was awarded the President’s Award for outstanding service to the University. He now serves on the College of Law’s Alumni Council.
Scott also contributes to the Southwest Florida Business and IP Blog. His posts include:
- When do employers need to pay overtime?
- Supreme Court Holds that Civil Rights Law Covers LGBT Employees
- DOL’s Initial Families First Guidance Throws Some Curveballs; Effective Date Now April 1
- Florida Jury Finds in Favor of Employer in Paralegal’s Overtime Trial
When not working, Scott enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, and watching New England sports.
Professional and Civic Affiliations
Scott devotes countless hours to the community. Currently, he is on the Executive Council (and past President) of the Lee County Bar Association Foundation, is Chair of the Sidney & Berne Davis Arts Center Board of Directors, and is a member of the UF Law Alumni Council. He is also a member of the Greater Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class (2017).
Scott previously served on the Florida Bar’s Board of Governors, including its Executive Council and Disciplinary Committee; was President of the Florida Bar’s Young Lawyers Division and its Out-of-State Division; was Vice-Chair of the Florida Bar’s Continuing Legal Education Committee; was President of the Lee County Bar Association; and, was Chair of the Small Firm Section of the Atlanta Bar Association. He is a former member of the 20th Judicial Circuit Professionalism Committee, Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism, and the Florida Bar’s inaugural Diversity Committee. Scott also served on the Allocations Committee for Lee County United Way, on the Executive Committee of the Dartmouth Club of Georgia, and was a Barrister in the Calusa Inns of Court.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 39 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- Scott Atwood Sworn in as Chair of The Florida Bar Labor & Employment Section
- 20 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Atwood to Share Legal Update on COVID-Related Employment Laws
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 28 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 28th Annual HR Law & Solutions Seminar Goes Virtual
- Scott Atwood Elected Chair-Elect of The Florida Bar Labor & Employment Section
- 21 Henderson Franklin Lawyers Honored as 2020 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Registration for Henderson Franklin’s 28th Annual HR Law & Solutions Seminar is Open
- Atwood Elected Secretary/Treasurer of The Florida Bar Labor & Employment Section
- Eighteen Henderson Franklin Lawyers Selected as 2019 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Henderson Franklin Welcomes Scott Atwood as Stockholder