Russell P. Schropp practices in the areas of Land Use, Zoning, and Environmental Law. He represents property owners and others before local, regional, state and federal agencies. Russ is a contributor to the firm’s blog, The Legal Scoop on Southwest Florida Real Estate.
Russ has received much recognition over his legal career, including being listed as a "Top Lawyer" by Naples Illustrated magazine (2018-2020). He has also been honored by Florida Super Lawyers® magazine (2007-2020), Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite (2015-2019), and Best Lawyers in America® (2011-2021), noting his practice in land use and zoning law. Best Lawyers also named Russ the "2020 Litigation - Land Use and Zoning Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers," an honor he also received in 2018.
Russ joined Henderson Franklin in 1984 and currently serves on the firm’s Executive Committee as Managing Attorney. He previously served as Chair of the Land Use & Environmental Department for several years. Russ and his wife, Barbara, have three children, Stefan, Eric, and Emma.
Prior to attending law school, he worked as a city planner in Hillsborough County, Florida, and received his Master's Degree in Urban and Regional Planning. While in law school, Russ was a member of the Law Review and is the author of an article entitled The Reasonableness of Aesthetic Zoning in Florida: A Look Beyond the Police Power, 10 F.S.U.L.Rev. 441.
Professional and Civic Affiliations
Russ serves as Chair of the Business Issues Committee of the Horizon Council, the business advisory council to the Lee County Commission. In recognition of his efforts with the Committee, Russ received the Florida Economic Development Council’s Volunteer of the Year award for Southwest Florida in 2013. He is former Chair of the City of Fort Myers Nuisance Abatement Board and was the founding Chair of the Land Use and Governmental Law Section of the Lee County Bar Association from 2005—2015. In prior years, Russ was a member of the board of directors of Hope Hospice (Chair 1993—95); a member of the City of Fort Myers Board of Zoning Adjustments (2001—09); and a member of the Florida Bar Grievance Committee for the 20th Judicial Circuit (Chair 1997—98).
A sports fan in general and an avid baseball fan in particular, Russ was a coach and board member for the Fort Myers Little League between 1993—2007, coached several youth travel baseball teams, was a board member and past president of the not-for-profit Southwest Florida Baseball, Inc., and played annually in the Roy Hobbs World Series event held in Lee County every year between 2002—2012. He has also been a youth basketball coach at the Lee County YMCA, served as an advisor to the YMCA's Youth-in-Government chapter at Fort Myers High School, and was recognized as the YMCA volunteer of the year.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 28 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 18 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- 21 Henderson Franklin Lawyers Honored as 2020 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 14 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Honored as 2020 “Best Lawyers in America”
- Henderson Franklin Names Jeff Wright Chair of Land Use & Environmental Law Department
- Gunderson and Schropp Honored as 2019 Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite
- Eighteen Henderson Franklin Lawyers Selected as 2019 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Four Henderson Franklin Attorneys Honored as Florida Trend Magazine’s 2018 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Three Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized by 2018 Florida Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Magazine