Russell P. Schropp practices in the areas of Land Use, Zoning, and Environmental Law. He represents property owners and others before local, regional, state and federal agencies. Russ is a contributor to the firm’s blog, The Legal Scoop on Southwest Florida Real Estate. Russ joined Henderson Franklin in 1984 and served as Managing Stockholder from 2015-2021. He also served as Chair of the Land Use & Environmental Department for several years.
Russ has received much recognition throughout his career, including being listed as a “Top Lawyer” by Naples Illustrated magazine (2018-2021). He has also been honored by Florida Super Lawyers® magazine (2007-2021), Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite (2015-2019), and Best Lawyers in America® (2011-2022), noting his practice in land use and zoning law. Best Lawyers also named Russ the “2020 Litigation – Land Use and Zoning Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers,” an honor he also received in 2018. In 2022, Best Lawyers named Russ the Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Fort Myers.
Prior to attending law school, he worked as a city planner in Hillsborough County, Florida, and received his Master’s Degree in Urban and Regional Planning. Russ and his wife, Barbara, have three children, Stefan, Eric, and Emma.
Professional and Civic Affiliations
Russ serves on the Executive Committee of the Horizon Council, a public-private board that advises the Lee County Commission on economic development matters. In recognition of his efforts, he received the Florida Economic Development Council’s Volunteer of the Year award for Southwest Florida. He also serves on the board of directors for Tiger Bay of Southwest Florida, a nonpartisan club dedicated to a better understanding of civic issues. Russ is former Chair of the City of Fort Myers Nuisance Abatement Board and was the founding Chair of the Land Use and Governmental Law Section of the Lee County Bar Association. In prior years, Russ was a member of the board of directors of Hope Hospice; a member of the City of Fort Myers Board of Zoning Adjustments; and a member and former chair of the Florida Bar Grievance Committee for the 20th Judicial Circuit.
A sports fan in general and an avid baseball fan in particular, Russ was a coach and board member for the Fort Myers Little League. He also coached several youth travel baseball teams, was a board member and past president of the not-for-profit Southwest Florida Baseball, Inc., and played annually in the Roy Hobbs World Series. Russ also served as a youth basketball coach at the Lee County YMCA, served as an advisor to the YMCA’s Youth-in-Government chapter at Fort Myers High School, and was recognized as the YMCA volunteer of the year.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 39 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 20 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 28 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 18 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- 21 Henderson Franklin Lawyers Honored as 2020 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 14 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Honored as 2020 “Best Lawyers in America”
- Henderson Franklin Names Jeff Wright Chair of Land Use & Environmental Law Department
- Gunderson and Schropp Honored as 2019 Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite
- Eighteen Henderson Franklin Lawyers Selected as 2019 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Four Henderson Franklin Attorneys Honored as Florida Trend Magazine’s 2018 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Three Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized by 2018 Florida Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Magazine