Russell P. Schropp practices in the areas of Land Use, Zoning, and Environmental Law. He represents property owners and others before local, regional, state and federal agencies. Russ is a contributor to the firm’s blog, The Legal Scoop on Southwest Florida Real Estate. Russ joined Henderson Franklin in 1984, served as Managing Stockholder (2015-2021), and Chair of the Land Use & Environmental Department for several years.
Russ has received much recognition throughout his career, including being listed as a “Top Lawyer” by Naples Illustrated magazine (2018-2023). He has also been honored by Florida Super Lawyers® magazine (2007-2023), Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite (2015-2019, 2022), and Best Lawyers in America® (2011-2024), noting his practice in land use and zoning law. Best Lawyers in America® also named Russ the 2018, 2020 and 2024 “Litigation – Land Use and Zoning Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers.” In 2022, Best Lawyers in America® named Russ the “Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers.”
Prior to attending law school, he worked as a city planner in Hillsborough County, Florida, and received his Master’s Degree in Urban and Regional Planning. Russ and his wife, Barbara, have three children, Stefan, Eric, and Emma.
Professional and Civic Affiliations
Russ served on the Executive Committee of the Horizon Council, and received the Florida Economic Development Council’s Volunteer of the Year award for Southwest Florida for his efforts. He is the former chair of the City of Fort Myers Nuisance Abatement Board, was the founding chair of the Land Use and Governmental Law Section of the Lee County Bar Association, and former chair of the Florida Bar Grievance Committee for the 20th Judicial Circuit. In prior years, Russ was a member of the City of Fort Myers Board of Zoning Adjustments;, and served as a member of the board of directors of Hope Hospice and the Tiger Bay of Southwest Florida.
A sports fan and an avid baseball fan in particular, Russ coached and was a Fort Myers Little League board member. He also coached several youth travel baseball teams, was a board member and past president of the not-for-profit Southwest Florida Baseball, Inc., and played annually in the Roy Hobbs World Series. Russ also served as a youth basketball coach at the Lee County YMCA, served as an advisor to the YMCA’s Youth-in-Government chapter at Fort Myers High School, and was recognized as the YMCA volunteer of the year.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 44 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 14 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized in the 2024 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
- Henderson Franklin Celebrates 26 Attorneys Recognized as 2023 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 36 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- Schropp and Corso Honored as 2022 Legal Elite by Florida Trend Magazine
- 21 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 39 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 20 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 28 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 18 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- 21 Henderson Franklin Lawyers Honored as 2020 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 14 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Honored as 2020 “Best Lawyers in America”
- Henderson Franklin Names Jeff Wright Chair of Land Use & Environmental Law Department
- Gunderson and Schropp Honored as 2019 Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite
- Eighteen Henderson Franklin Lawyers Selected as 2019 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Four Henderson Franklin Attorneys Honored as Florida Trend Magazine’s 2018 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Three Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized by 2018 Florida Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Magazine