Guy E. Whitesman concentrates his practice in mergers and acquisitions, business organization operations and planning, taxation, estate planning and health care law. He is former chair of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions, Business Organizations & Planning, Tax, and Intellectual Property practice areas. He is a member and past chair of the Tax Section of The Florida Bar. Guy is also Board Certified in Tax Law and served as chairman of Florida Bar Tax Law Certification Committee.
Guy frequently writes and speaks on issues regarding taxation, business, and estate planning to members of the public, as well as to accountants and attorneys through Florida Bar and other nationally recognized continuing legal education programs.
Guy has been widely recognized and honored for his expertise in the legal field. He received the “2021-2022 Gerald T. Hart Outstanding Tax Attorney” award from the Florida Bar Tax Section. He has been consistently honored by Florida Super Lawyers® magazine since 2006 and has been named to Naples Illustrated’s “Top Lawyer” list for his work in business/corporate, mergers and acquisitions law, and tax law from 2018 to 2023. Guy has also been included in the prestigious Best Lawyers in America® list from 2013 to 2024, with recognition in various areas such as Business Organizations, Family Business Law, Corporate Law, Nonprofit/Charities Law, Tax Law, and Trusts and Estates Law. In addition, he has been named the “Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers” by Best Lawyers in America® in multiple categories, including Corporate Law, Tax Law, and Trusts and Estates Law. In 2024 he was named again for Tax Law.
Prior to moving to Fort Myers, Guy served as a criminal defense attorney with the United States Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps and was engaged in the private practice of law in Miami. He is married to Emmy Award-winning videographer, Ilene Safron, and has a son, Joseph Samuel and a daughter, Jena Morgan.
Professional And Civic Affiliations
Guy has been very active in community affairs. He serves as a Senior Advisor on the Board of Trustees for the Collaboratory, and he is the former director of Community Cooperative, Inc. (the “Soup Kitchen”), former director (and past president) of the Jewish Federation of Lee and Charlotte Counties, and is a former trustee and one of the founding trustees of the Jewish Community Foundation of Southwest Florida. He is also trustee emeritus and past president of the Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium past president of the Rotary Club of Fort Myers South, and Emeritus Trustee for the University of Florida Law Center Association, Inc.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 44 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 14 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized in the 2024 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
- Henderson Franklin Celebrates 26 Attorneys Recognized as 2023 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Florida Tax Attorney Guy Whitesman Presents CLE in New Orleans
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 36 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- Guy Whitesman Named 2023 Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” for Corporate Law in Fort Myers
- 21 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Mayor Kevin Anderson Honors Guy Whitesman with a Key to The City of Fort Myers
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 39 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- Guy Whitesman Named 2021-2022 Gerald T. Hart Outstanding Tax Attorney
- 20 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 28 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 18 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- 21 Henderson Franklin Lawyers Honored as 2020 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 14 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Honored as 2020 “Best Lawyers in America”
- Eighteen Henderson Franklin Lawyers Selected as 2019 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Whitesman Addresses National Audience at the 2019 Florida Tax Institute
- Guy Whitesman Named Fort Myers 2019 Tax Law Lawyer of the Year
- Twenty-Three Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized by 2018 Florida Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Magazine