Guy E. Whitesman is an active member and the past chair of the Tax Section of The Florida Bar. He is Board Certified in Tax Law and is a past chairman of Tax Law Certification Committee which oversees the board certification process. Guy concentrates his practice in mergers and acquisitions, business organization operations and planning, taxation, estate planning and health care law. He is former chair of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions, Business Organizations & Planning, Tax, and Intellectual Property practice areas.
Guy frequently writes and speaks on issues regarding taxation, business, and estate planning to members of the public, as well as to accountants and attorneys through Florida Bar and other nationally recognized continuing legal education programs.
Guy has received much recognition over the years, most recently named the “2021-2022 Gerald T. Hart Outstanding Tax Attorney” by the Florida Bar Tax Section. He has also been honored by Florida Super Lawyers® magazine every year since 2006. Naples Illustrated listed him as a “Top Lawyer” for his work in business/corporate, mergers and acquisitions law and tax law (2018-2021) and he was named as one of Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” (2011). Guy was also named to Best Lawyers in America (2013-2022), for his work in Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Corporate Law, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Tax Law and Trusts and Estates law. Best Lawyers in America® named Guy the “2021 Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers,” “2020 Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers,” “2019 Tax Law Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers,” and “2017 Corporate Lawyer of the Year in Fort Myers.”
Prior to moving to Fort Myers, Guy served as a criminal defense attorney with the United States Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps and was engaged in the private practice of law in Miami. He is married to Emmy Award-winning videographer, Ilene Safron, and has a son, Joseph Samuel and a daughter, Jena Morgan.
Professional And Civic Affiliations
Since relocating to Southwest Florida in 1986, Guy has been very active in community affairs. He serves as a senior advisor and is past chair of the Southwest Florida Community Foundation, former director of Community Cooperative, Inc. (the “Soup Kitchen”), former director (and past president) of the Jewish Federation of Lee and Charlotte Counties, and is a former trustee and one of the founding trustees of the Jewish Community Foundation of Southwest Florida. He is also trustee emeritus and past president of the Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium and past president of the Rotary Club of Fort Myers South. Guy also serves as a member of the Board of Trustees of the University of Florida Law Center Association, Inc.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 39 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- Guy Whitesman Named 2021-2022 Gerald T. Hart Outstanding Tax Attorney
- 20 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 28 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- 18 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- 21 Henderson Franklin Lawyers Honored as 2020 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 14 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Honored as 2020 “Best Lawyers in America”
- Eighteen Henderson Franklin Lawyers Selected as 2019 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Whitesman Addresses National Audience at the 2019 Florida Tax Institute
- Henderson Franklin and Kena Yoke Consulting Present Play Your Game: Creating and Running a Championship Business
- Guy Whitesman Named Fort Myers 2019 Tax Law Lawyer of the Year
- Twenty-Three Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized by 2018 Florida Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Magazine