Matthew L. Brust concentrates his practice in business formations, operations, and planning. He also focuses on mergers and acquisitions, including federal and state taxation planning while also representing clients before the IRS and Florida Department of Revenue. He enjoys the technical and analytical aspects of tax law. Matthew’s experience in tax consulting includes tax efficient acquisitions, structuring, and succession planning, with a focus on working with entrepreneurs to help them achieve their business goals.
In 2023, Matthew was named a “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers. Based on peer recognition, only 2.5% of lawyers in Florida make it to this distinguished list. He was then named to Naples Illustrated “Top Lawyers” list in 2023, an honor also determined through peer-review.
Matthew is a speaker and co-developed the firm’s Startup Bootcamp. He is also a blogger on the Southwest Florida Business and IP Blog. His posts include:
- Did inflation just save me money on my taxes?
- Did Hurricane Ian extend deadlines with my Section 1031 Exchange?
- Important Reminders as 2022 “Tax Day” Approaches
- How does receiving a PPP Loan impact filing my company’s taxes?
- Should I start my new business as an LLC or S-Corporation?
- What is an LLC and why do I need one?
Matthew is a Cape Coral native. In his free time, he enjoys cycling, soccer, boating and reading John Grisham novels.
Professional and Civic Affiliations
Matthew is a member of the American Bar Association, the Florida Bar, and the Lee County Bar Association. He also serves on the Board of Directors for the Lee County Bar Association Foundation. Over the years, he has volunteered his time to United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) and to local “beach sweep” events to clean up Florida’s beaches.
- Represented a seller of three pizza franchises in South Florida;
- Represented shareholders of a closely held corporation in a stock purchase;
- Represented taxpayer before the IRS to reduce and resolve years of penalties/interest;
- Advised a client on the Bramblett Structure with respect to preserving capital gains on undeveloped real estate; and
- Formation of a business structure to efficiently and effectively invest in a real estate syndicate.
News & Insights
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 44 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- Henderson Franklin Celebrates 26 Attorneys Recognized as 2023 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Startup Bootcamp Returns to Ave Maria Law School
- Matthew Brust Joins Board of Lee County Bar Association Foundation
- Cape Coral Native Matthew Brust Joins Henderson Franklin’s Corporate Legal Team