Since the start of his legal career, Chris has assisted clients with their estate planning, probate, estate administration, trust administration and tax matters. Chris assists clients by developing custom solutions to accommodate a client’s individual needs using wills, revocable and irrevocable trusts, advance directives including powers of attorney, living wills and health care surrogates, and advising clients on income tax, estate tax, and gift tax minimization strategies.
Chris assists clients in all areas of trust and estate administration including probate throughout the State of Florida. Chris also represents personal representatives, beneficiaries, and provides advice and counsel about compliance with the Florida Probate Code and Florida Trust Code. His skillfulness in the practice area of trusts and estate law earned him a spot on the Naples Illustrated 'Top Lawyers' list for 2019.
Because estate planning and administration often involve real estate and closely-held business interests, Chris assists clients with the transfer, sale, and management of these assets including complying with FIRPTA regulations for non-U.S. resident buyers and sellers of real estate. As part of Chris’s property practice, he represents clients involved in federal tax audits and appeals as well as tax-treaty compliance matters for non-residents owning U.S. situs property.
Prior to joining Henderson Franklin in 2018, Chris was in private practice in Naples for almost five years and was associated with an Am Law 200 law firm in Naples for seven years. In his free time, Chris enjoys running, biking, and swimming, and fishing with his wife, two sons, and their Jack Russell Terrier.
- Co-Author, “Digital Asset Planning” Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2013
- Co-Author, "The Benefits of Florida Residency" Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2012
- Co-Author, "Why in the World Would I Need a Living Trust Now?" Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2011
- Co-Author, "Update on Retirement Benefits," Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2010
- Author, "Estate Planning in Uncertain Times," The Forum, Collier County Medical Society, May-June 2009
- Co-Author, "A Primer on Florida Homestead Law," Naples Daily News Estate Planning Council Supplement, March 2008
- Author (Comment), MPDLS Is Not a Disease: A Proposition for a Model Punitive Damage Limiting Statute in Light of the Constitutional Guideposts from BMW and State Farm, 17 St. Thomas L. Rev. 33 (2004)
Professional And Civic Affiliations
Chris is a member of the Estate Planning Council of Naples and a past president of the Rotary Club of Naples Bay. He is a graduate of the 2011 class of the Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce Leadership Program, Growing Associates in Naples (GAINTM). Chris is also a member of the Collier County and Lee County Bar Associations.
Chris formerly served on the Finance Committee of the Greater Naples YMCA, the Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration’s Managed Care Ombudsman Committee, and as an elected Supervisor for the Ochlockonee River Soil and Water Conservation District.