J. Matthew Belcastro is Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law. He concentrates his practice in the areas of construction litigation, construction contracts, business, and real estate litigation. He also has an active appellate practice. Prior to joining Henderson Franklin in November 2000, Matt began his legal career in Jacksonville, Florida, where he focused on commercial litigation and bankruptcy law. He is admitted to practice in all Florida state courts, as well as in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Matt speaks and writes on construction-related topics, including:
- Recent Developments in Notice and Opportunity To Cure Provisions of Ch. 558, Florida Statutes
- Lien Release: Proceed with Caution
- Construction Liens: Don't Let Your Arbitration Clause Cost You Your Lien Rights
- You Failed to Perfect Your Lien Rights - Now What?
In law school, Matt was an editor of the University of Florida Journal of Law and Public Policy and was inducted into the University of Florida Order of the Coif in 1998. Currently, he is involved with Florida Construction lawyers legislative subcommittee and frequently reviews proposed legislation pertaining to the construction industry for purposes of providing recommendation and potential revisions.
Matt has been recognized by several publications, including Florida Trend Magazine's “Up and Comers” list (2009), Florida Trend Magazine's Legal Elite (2010, 2011, 2016—2017), Naples Illustrated "Top Lawyers" (2018), and Florida Super Lawyers ® magazine (2010—2012, 2014—2020) for his work in the field of construction litigation.
Matt is married to Brannon Belcastro, and he has two children, Ashby and Elizabeth.
Professional And Civic Affiliations
Matt is a founding officer of the Lee County A.C.E Mentoring Program and is a member of the Lee County Building Industry Association (Lee BIA). He also serves on the Chamber of Southwest Florida Board of Directors. Matt is a former board member of the City of Fort Myers Imaginarium and Code Enforcement Board.
- Ziegler v. Martin County School Dist., 831 F.3d 1309 (11th Cir. 2016)
- 5F, LLC v. Dresing, 142 So.3d 946 (Fla. 2d DCA 2014)
- Liebherr-America, Inc. v. McCollum, 43 So.3d 65 (Fla. 3d DCA 2010)
- Smith v. City of Fort Myers, 944 So.2d 1092 (Fla. 2d DCA 2006)
- Estate of Stisser, 932 So.2d 400 (Fla. 2d DCA 2006)