Richard is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator and concentrates his practice in the areas of trust & estate litigation, contested guardianships, business litigation, banking & financial institutions and mediation and arbitration. He handles contested estate and trust matters, breach of fiduciary duty litigation, and representation of the fiduciaries or beneficiaries of estates and trusts. Richard represents clients in complex business disputes, contract disputes, as well as real property litigation and foreclosures. Richard was listed by Naples Illustrated as a “Top Lawyer” in the practice area of alternate dispute resolution (2018) and in trusts and estate law (2021-2022). He also serves as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and is co-chair of the Trusts and Estate Planning Department.
In addition, Richard is a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) certified arbitrator and represents clients in securities and investor-related disputes. Richard is admitted in all Florida State Courts, as well as the United States District Court for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida.
Prior to law school, Richard was a chief executive officer for a public/private economic development alliance in Alabama and formerly Vice President of the Greater Brandon (Florida) Chamber of Commerce. Richard currently resides in Naples.
Professional And Civic Affiliations
Richard is an active member of the Real Property Probate and Trust Law sections of the Florida Bar, Lee County Bar Association, and Collier County Bar Association. He is also a member and former chairman of SWFL, Inc. (formerly the Bonita Springs Area Chamber of Commerce). Rich is formerly President and member of the Board of Naples Christian Academy and is the former Chairman of the Board of the Bonita Springs/Estero Economic Development Council (BSEEDC), now known as the South Lee EDC.
- Represent personal representative and trustee defending claims of undue influence and incapacity by other beneficiaries.
- Serve as co-counsel representing beneficiary that challenged inter-vivos transactions based on undue influence and coercion, obtaining jury verdict to return substantial property to trust.
- Represent adult children of incapacitated mother in obtaining full guardianship to protect mother from unscrupulous friends and family.
- Serve as co-counsel representing personal representative of estate who claimed real property was not asset of decedent, obtaining summary judgment in favor of estate.
News & Insights
- Navigating the Complexities of Estate Planning: 5 Common Challenges for Corporate Trustees in Florida
- What is a Dynasty Trust and Why Should You Have One in Florida?
- Cetrangelo and Mancini Named Estate Planning Department Co-Chairs
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 36 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”
- Naples Illustrated Magazine Recognizes 39 Henderson Franklin Attorneys as “Top Lawyers”