Luca is a registered patent attorney and is energized by working with talented and passionate inventors, artists and musicians. Coupled with his background as a dual United States-German trained electrical engineer, Luca now brings his technical problem-solving skills to navigate his clients’ legal matters.
As an entrepreneur himself, Luca understands the “real world” challenges his clients face running a business. He helps clients – especially startups – with a myriad of issues including contract negotiations, employee handbooks, intellectual property licensing agreements, and End User License Agreements (“EULAs”) for software companies. Luca also conducts patent prior art and trademark clearance searches, prepares and prosecutes patent, trademark and copyright applications and prepares patent non-infringement opinions.
Luca also has experience working on high profile business and contractual matters, including multi-million dollar mergers and acquisitions involving publicly traded companies and celebrities, assisting clients with creation and management of intellectual property portfolios, brand licensing and anti-infringement matters – including extensive anti-counterfeiting work and creating and overseeing global trademark portfolios.
Over the years, Luca has handled a variety of multi-jurisdictional litigation matters involving copyright, patent, trademark and trade secret infringement, breach of contract and non-compete agreements, as well as cases concerning environmental protection, real estate disputes and hurricane related claims. Using his background in engineering, Luca also defends engineers, architects and other design professionals against design defect and other professional liability claims. For his work in intellectual property law, Florida Super Lawyers® magazine named him a “Rising Star” in 2021.
Luca is admitted to practice in all Florida and Illinois state courts; the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit; U.S. District Courts for the Middle, Southern and Northern Districts of Florida; U.S. Court of International Trade, U.S. Tax Court, and the Seminole Tribe of Florida Tribal Court. Luca is also registered as a Foreign Practitioner through the Canadian College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents.
Luca received his undergraduate degrees from the Milwaukee School of Engineering (with high honors) and Lübeck University of Applied Sciences. He graduated valedictorian and first in his class from Ave Maria School of Law, and now serves as a member of its Alumni Board. Originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Luca and his wife currently reside in Estero, Florida. When not working he enjoys fishing, writing, working on cars and prototyping his latest invention idea.
- What is the difference between patents, trademarks and copyrights?
- Digital Intellectual Property: What rights does Apple have over digital photos upon death of a user?
- Protecting Your Digital Intellectual Property Through Estate Planning
- Copyright and patent protection apply to product packaging, too
- Copyright Issues Using Photographs and Videos on Websites and Social Media
Professional and Civic Associations
Luca is dedicated to his community and currently serves on the Catholic Charities, Diocese of Venice, Board of Directors. He is also the President and Director of the Fresh Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization which raises awareness of agricultural and water instability issues. He managed domestic and international engineering teams, including personally overseeing construction and long-term preservation of aquaponic tilapia farms at two orphanages in Kenya.
Luca is a member of the Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Section of the Florida Bar, Lee County Bar Association (and serves as co-chair of the Intellectual Property Section), the Southwest Florida Federal Court Bar Association, the Florida Defense Lawyers Association, DRI (where he is a member of the Intellectual Property Litigation Committee) and the Catholic Bar Association.
News & Insights
- 20 Henderson Franklin Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Hickman Discussed Legal Concerns Facing Social Media Influencer Endorsements
- Hickman to Deliver Technology CLE for The Florida Bar Solo and Small Firm Section
- Nieds and Hickman Named Inaugural Co-Chairs of Lee County Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Law Section
- Hickman to Discuss the Impact of Intellectual Property in the Coffee Industry
- Nieds and Hickman to Deliver Virtual CLE, “Competitive Advantage: Understanding Key Intellectual Property Concepts that Drive Business”
- Henderson Franklin Named “Best Intellectual Property Law Firm” By Gulfshore Business Magazine
- Patent Attorney Luca Hickman Honored as 40 Under 40 Honoree
- Henderson Franklin Names Mark Nieds Chair and Launches Intellectual Property Group
- Henderson Franklin Welcomes Registered Patent Attorney Luca Hickman